Practising Law Institute (PLI) treatises and course handbooks are no longer available through either WestlawNext or Westlaw Clasic. As I noted in a prior post, however, many PLI treatises, deskbooks and answer books from 2008 to present are available through Bloomberg Law. In Bloomberg Law’s home page, there is a “Resources” box. Click: “Books & Treatises.” Under heading “PRACTISING LAW INSTITUTE” click: “All PLI Books & Treatises” to view available sources. These include: DIrectors’ & Officers’ Liability (Oct. 2012) by James A. Fanto; Soderquist on the Securities Laws (March 2012) by Gary M. Brown; and Trade Secrets: A Practitioner’s Guide (June 2012) by Henry H. Perritt, Jr. A BLS student, faculty member or administrator can register to obtain a law school account from Bloomberg Law.
Selected PLI print sources also are available in BLS Library. To identify BLS Library’s print holdings, search SARA catalog by keywords, such as:
- practising law institute corporate
- practising law institute computer
Additional helpful resources:
- Many practice-oriented publications of the American Bar Association are also available through BLS Library. These titles range from Ipad Apps in One Hour for Lawyers (2012) by Tom Mighell to How To Build and Manage a Personal Injury Practice (2012) by K. WIlliam Gibson. To view recently published ABA sources available through BLS Library, search SARA catalog by keywords: american bar association. Then, in the pull-down menu on the right, view search results by: Publication/Copyright date: Newest to Oldest.
- Practical Law Company also allows BLS students, faculty and admistrators to register for law school accounts. PLC’s available materials include model documents, checklists, practice-area overviews and updates about legal developments. PLC focuses on these practice areas: commercial; corporate and securities; employee benefits and executive compensation; finance; intellectual property and technology; international arbitration (new); labor and employment; and litigation (federal). PLC also provides some materials for: antitrust; real estate; and tax.
- Librarians at the BLS reference desk (email@example.com or 718 780 7567) could assist in identifying potentially useful sources for your research.
Jean Davis, Associate Librarian for International Law